Come file your 2017-2018 applications for financial aid in person with Student Financial Services and meet the March 1st deadline! Every Friday in February, SFS staff will be available in Carruthers Hall between 10am and 4pm to help you complete your application forms. To make the best use of your time, we ask that students prepare for their visit by doing the following before they come in:
- Register for or make sure you know your FSA ID and CSS/PROFILE log in information
- Start your FAFSA by using the IRS' Data Retrieval Tool. More information on that is at http://sfs.virginia.edu/fedverify.
- Bring with you information about assets you or your parents might have, including cash, checking, and savings account balances; any investments, such as stocks; information about real estate investments; and any information about family businesses
- If you are a married student, please make sure you bring your spouse's 2015 W-2 form in addition to your own.
For your convenience, you may arrive on a walk-in basis, and there is no need to RSVP. In addition to the above items, read on for more information that will be required for you to complete the application forms. Get the help that you need and don't miss the opportunity to file your applications on time!
Completing Financial Aid Application Forms
In order to be considered eligible for all forms of state and institutional grants and scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year, there are two application forms you must submit to SFS by March 1, 2017. You must submit BOTH the CSS/PROFILE, available at https://student.collegeboard.org/css-financial-aid-profile, and the FAFSA, available at www.fafsa.gov. UVA's CSS Profile code is 5820, and the FAFSA School Code is 003745.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, you will need financial documentation from the 2015 tax year. The FAFSA and Profile both collect information from the following sources:
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a US citizen)
- Your 2015 W-2 forms or other records of money earned
- Your 2015 Federal Income Tax Return, including all schedules, if you will file one. If you have not yet filed when you complete the FAFSA, you may use estimates and then update the information after you file.
- Your asset and investment records, such as bank statements, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
Parent Information (for dependent students only):
- Your parents’ Social Security numbers and dates of birth
- Your parents’ 2015 W-2 forms or other records of money earned
- Your parents’ 2015 Federal Income Tax Return(s), including all schedules, if they will file. If they have not yet filed when you complete the FAFSA, you may use estimates and then update the information after they file.
- Your parents’ asset and investment records, such as bank statements, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
- Also note that your parent will be required to sign the FAFSA. They will likely be able to do this electronically, and they can do so with their own FSA ID after you submit your portion of the FAFSA.