Using Veteran Benefits

If you are a student eligible for veteran's benefits, you can submit an education benefits application through the VA website. The VA will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar (UREG). You can direct questions about benefit eligibility and coverage to the VA Educational Benefits line at 1-888-442-4551.

Next, students who plan to use their Veteran's benefits should contact the Office of the University Registrar (UREG). UREG’s Veterans Affairs Coordinator certifies enrollment and processes all academic related information to the VA. Once the student completes and submits their Certificate of Enrollment to UREG, SFS will receive the student information and help guide the financial component of the VA education benefits process.  At that point, our office will notate the student account with information about the anticipated benefits.  Depending on the type ("chapter") of the anticipated benefits, the student will not be responsible for paying the anticipated amount; instead, the student will be protected from any Student Finance hold while we wait for the funds to arrive.  There is an online tool available here to help your estimate what your particular benefits might be.

It is extremely important to understand that the Certificate of Enrollment must be submitted for each term for which you intend to use your benefits. 

Typically, funds arrive several weeks after the end of the drop/add period, once final enrollment is certifiable, to ensure that the correct amount of funds is disbursed to the student account.  UREG has a helpful timeline that you may want to read in more detail.

In the meantime, students should be mindful of other charges they might incur not related to tuition and fees (e.g. Bookstore, Parking and Transportation) that they are responsible for paying.  Any of these other charges that become past due may result in the student incurring a Student Finance hold until the charges are paid.

Helpful Resources:  For additional resources and information (including Estimate Monthly Housing Allowance, Choice Act eligibility, and Dept. of VA FAQs), please visit UREG’s VA resource page.

For servicemember student loan borrowers, we want to make you aware of your rights and options.  The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has partnered with the Department of Defense and has created a guide for servicemembers who have student loans. The guide contains clear information on the various ways student loans can be repaid. Servicemembers who have an issue with their servicers should submit a complaint to the CFPB by following the steps below.  The University provides this information strictly as a service to its servicemember student loan borrowers.

  • Go online at
  • Call the toll-free phone number at 1-855-411-CFPB (2372) or TTY/TDD phone number at 1-855-729-CFPB (2372)
  • Fax the CFPB at 1-855-237-2392
  • Mail a letter to: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, P.O. Box 4503, Iowa City, Iowa 52244
  • Additionally, through “Ask CFPB,” consumers can get clear, unbiased answers to their questions at or by calling 1-855-411-CFPB (2372).