Students who are dependent for financial aid purposes, or who receive a request on their SIS To Do List, should submit the tax documents listed here. Students who are unable to submit the application requirements should contact SFS as soon as possible.
Documents may be uploaded through your SIS Student Center, faxed to (434) 924-7636, attached as a .pdf to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to Student Financial Services P.O. Box 400204 Charlottesville, VA 22904. Please note that the University of Virginia does not participate in the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC).
Tax Filing Statuses
- My parent(s) filed a U.S. income tax return
- My parent(s) filed a non-U.S. income tax return
- My parent(s) were not required to file a U.S. or non-U.S. income tax return
- My parent(s) filed a joint return but are now separated, divorced or widowed
- My parent(s) filed a business tax return (i.e. Form 1120, 1120S or 1065)
- My parent(s) filed an amended income tax return, filed an income tax extension or is a victim of IRS identity theft
If none of these statuses describes your parent(s)’ tax filing status, please contact our office.
If your parent(s) will file or filed a U.S. income tax return, submit a signed copy of the complete tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) including all Schedules and Forms (i.e. Schedule A, Schedule C, Schedule E, Schedule SE). Tax returns submitted without all Schedules and Forms may result in a delay in your application review.
If your parents filed separate U.S. income tax returns, submit a copy of each parent’s complete tax return.
If your parent(s) will file or filed a non-U.S. income tax return, submit a signed copy of the complete return. The return must be translated into English and the currency on the return must be notated. If the country’s tax year does not follow the U.S. calendar year, submit the tax return with more months that fall in calendar year 2015.
If your parents filed a tax return in two different countries, submit a signed copy of each parent’s complete tax return.
If your parent(s) will not or did not file a U.S. or non-U.S. income tax return and are not required to file an income tax return, submit the UVA Parent Non-Tax Filer Form.
If one parent did not and was not required to file an income tax return and one parent filed an income tax return, also submit a signed copy of that parent’s complete tax return.
If your parents filed a joint tax return but are separated, divorced or widowed at the time you submitted your financial aid application, submit a signed copy of the joint tax return, including all schedules. If your parents had income that was solely his or hers (such as an IRA distribution or social security benefits), also submit a statement signed by your parent to confirm the source and amount of this income.
If your parent(s) own, partly own, or hold interest in a business or tax exempt organization, submit a signed copy of the complete tax return including the corresponding Schedule K-1 for each business. These returns include but are not limited to:
- S-Corporation: Submit Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S-Corporation, including Form 8825 if applicable
- Partnership: Submit Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income, including Form 8825 if applicable
- U.S. Corporation: Submit Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return
- Tax Exempt Organization: Submit Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) with multiple partners: Submit Form 1065 or Form 1120S depending on the LLC’s designation.
If your parent(s) are unable to submit the business tax return, submit the Schedule K-1 and a statement signed by your parent(s) to explain why the business return is unable to be submitted. Please note that submitting a statement and the Schedule K-1 is not an automatic exemption from submitting your parent(s)’ business tax return. SFS will make the final determination. To ensure more timely review, submit all of your parent(s) business tax returns along with the Federal Income Tax Return. Your application review may be delayed if the business tax return is not submitted with the income tax return.
Please contact our office for instructions if your parent(s) income tax filing status is one of these.