Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is financial aid that is based on financial need and must be earned through student employment. Many job opportunities are available to eligible students on or off grounds. FWS funds are not credited to the student account up front and so should not be factored into the budgeting process for semester payment plans or how much you might need to pay out of pocket at the start of a term.

Student Financial Services automatically considers work-study for eligible undergraduate students once their completed FAFSA, CSS Profile, and other requested documents are received. Annual offered amounts range from $1,000 to $4,000 for undergraduate students.

Please review the Student Federal Work-Study Handbook for 2024-2025.

For more information about the Federal work study process, watch this helpful video.

Job Placement

All available work study jobs are posted on Handshake at the Career Center website. The system is accessible via Netbadge and you will be prompted to complete a profile. The Career Center website has links to video tutorials and other help navigating the new system. Financial aid counselors can also help students with Handshake and answer FWS questions.

Employment Regulations

Students normally work between eight and fifteen hours per week when classes are in session. In some instances, students may elect to work up to forty hours per week during vacation periods. No student will be paid less than the federal minimum wage.

Required Documents to Begin Work

In order to prevent delays in beginning your job, make sure you bring the proper official documents with you when you come to Grounds. For a complete listing of these documents, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.


Work-study amounts are not applied to the student account. Instead, students receive pay through the University's payroll system for hours actually worked. Students must have their earnings deposited directly to their personal bank account. Students may sign up for direct deposit in the Finance Center of their SIS account.

Taxable Federal Work-Study Earnings

Earnings under the federal work-study program are earned income and subject to federal, state, and local tax withholding. Students employed under the federal work-study program will receive a W-2 form at the end of January, which documents all earnings at the University. It is the student's responsibility to report FWS earnings on their income tax returns. It is also the student's responsibility to report all taxable earnings as earned income and as taxable earnings from need-based employment programs on the FAFSA for the appropriate tax year.

Changes to your Federal Work-Study Award

It is your responsibility to notify your employer immediately if your work-study offer is reduced or canceled. You are not eligible to work as a work-study student if you have earned the full amount of your work-study offer for the year or if your work-study is canceled. You will be notified by Student Financial Services by email of any changes to your financial aid offer.

Other Student Employment Opportunities

Students who may not qualify for the federal work-study program may choose to work at various student employment opportunities throughout the University. These jobs include clerical, laboratory, and customer service positions. These job postings are also available through Handshake.

Federal Work Study Administrators

Find resources for administrators of work study students