Scholarships and Grants

This page contains information on federal, state, and University of Virginia scholarships and grants. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the different types of awards that are out there. Some of them will end up on your financial aid award, if you apply for financial aid. For those who have applied for need-based financial aid with SFS and who have non-University scholarships, see the section below on that topic.

We also provide you with information on non-UVA scholarship opportunities that we think are worth bringing to your attention: Going Merry, the Big Future search engine at the CollegeBoard, and Tuition Funding Sources. We don't endorse any one site, but we want to provide a starting point for your scholarship search.

Watch this video for a helpful overview of some of the different types of scholarships and grants available to you.


In the most general terms, scholarships are awarded to students with special qualifications, such as academic, athletic, or artistic achievement. Awards are also available for students who are interested in particular fields of study, are members of certain underrepresented groups, live in certain areas of the country or who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), also available in a Spanish-language version. Students miss scholarship opportunities because they do not complete a FAFSA.

SFS-Administered Scholarships

SFS offers a number of privately endowed need-based scholarships. Most of the awards were established by individuals or foundation and are intended for students who meet specific criteria. Although the primary criterion for many of the endowed scholarships is need, there are several awards that include merit and region as other determinants. This page shows a complete list of named scholarships that are part of the AccessUVA program.

There is no application process for the endowed scholarships offered by SFS. In most instances, students do not need to complete a separate application form, but are considered automatically upon enrollment. Awards are made based on the annual scholarship earnings and number of recipients, with first preference given to renewal candidates. Students awarded an endowed scholarship will receive written notification of their selection.

Other scholarships administered and awarded by SFS where the student must self-identify their qualifications can be found by accessing this link. All students who believe they meet a scholarship's qualifications should email [email protected], indicating the scholarship for which they believe they are qualified. SFS will reply with further instructions.

Please review our list of SFS-administered scholarships that do not require separate application by the student. These are scholarships where SFS identifies the students based on their qualifications and awards them as a matter of course.

Academic Departments

Academic Departments often have scholarship awards that can be offered to students who meet select criteria. In most instances these are not publicized awards and are only offered to returning students. It is recommended that a student make contact with his school or department to find out what awards are available and when he should begin the application process.

Other University of Virginia Scholarship Resources

Office of Citizen Scholar Development

Alumni Association

Vice President for Research

Office of African-American Affairs

Non-UVA Scholarships

Non-UVA awards are offered by sponsors outside of the University. Many of these awards are made co-payable to the student and University; therefore, before the funds for these awards can be applied to the student’s SIS account, the student must physically sign the check. In the case where the funds have been paid directly to the student, the student is required to report the award to SFS. Many students ask us about merit-based scholarships. We recommend students begin their search at websites such as this one managed by College Board.

Federal regulations require that the University consider all resources available to a student when determining eligibility for financial aid awards. Not reporting scholarships can result in late fees, account holds, and incorrect awarding of financial aid. SFS will notify the student if their non-UVA scholarship causes a revision to their financial aid package.

To report a non-UVA scholarship, complete and submit the "Outside Scholarships Self Reporting Form" found under the correct academic year on our Forms directory. Unless otherwise specifically requested in writing by the donor or awarding agency, Student Financial Services will credit one half of the scholarship amount to the fall charges and one half to the spring. If you wish to have the entire amount applied to one semester only, please contact the donor to have them provide documentation of their request.

Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits

Employer-provided tuition benefits do impact our calculation of your demonstrated need. If you or your parent work for a company--another University or a school district, for example--and that company will pay for a portion of your costs, we will factor that in to the calculation of your need or revise your financial aid award, if notification of that benefit arrives after your award is complete. In general, the formula we use is Cost of Attendance minus the contribution from your family minus your employer tuition benefit equals your demonstrated need.


Federal Grant Programs

The U.S. Department of Education offers a variety of federal grants to students attending four-year colleges or universities, community colleges, and career schools.

The Federal Pell Grant is awarded based on financial need. It does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Pell Grant awards are based on the Student Aid Index (SAI), as calculated by the FAFSA formula and after the verification process is completed. Students are eligible for a full-sized award when they are enrolled in a minimum of twelve credit hours per semester; they receive a prorated award when they are enrolled in fewer than twelve credit hours per semester.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is awarded based on financial need. It does not have to be repaid. It is federally funded and administered by Student Financial Services. FSEOGs are awarded to students who demonstrate the greatest financial need, and preference is given to students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Annual FSEOG awards range from $200 to $4,000 a year. Students who have already earned a bachelor's degree are NOT eligible for SEOG assistance.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grants provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. Learn more about this grant.

As a condition for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree to (among other requirements) teach

  • in a high-need field
  • at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families
  • for at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants provide money to college or career school students to help pay their education expenses. However, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants have special eligibility criteria.

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if

  • you are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your SAI but
  • you meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
  • your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
  • you were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

State Grant Programs

Virginia Residents

State financial aid grants and scholarships are funded by the Virginia General Assembly and are administered by Student Financial Services at the University. To be considered for the following state programs, students must meet all State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) requirements and have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

See a complete listing and descriptions of Virginia grant programs

States Other Than Virginia

Find a listing and descriptions of grant programs available to residents of other states

Military Educational Benefits/ROTC Scholarship Award

The enactment of H.R. 1777 [correction to the Higher Education Act of 1965], established the exclusion of certain federal military educational benefits from consideration as estimated financial assistance (EFA), when determining Title IV federal financial aid eligibility. ROTC education benefits are also excluded as EFA even though they are not Veterans Affairs programs and the recipients are not veterans.

Please note: Your military educational benefits will impact certain financial aid eligibility. Military educational benefits will be included as a financial resource in your financial aid offer and may reduce state grants, University grants, and private loans. Each financial aid award type is different, so the VA benefit may affect each person’s award differently. Please contact Student Financial Services for questions about how your military educational benefits may impact your financial aid at [email protected] or 434.982.6000.

UVA ROTC Programs: The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) provides scholarship assistance to students who are participants in the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps programs. However, the University does not currently offer a Marine Corps option at this time. There are three separate payment made to students; tuition and fees, monthly stipends, and an allowance for books and supplies. 

Please use the links below to learn more about the ROTC programs available at the University of Virginia.

Army -

Navy -

Air Force -

Virginia Military Survivor and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP): The Virginia Military Survivor and Dependents Education program is often confused with the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35). The main difference between the two programs is that Chapter 35 is a federal program and VMSDEP is a State program. As a State veteran's benefit, the VMSDEP is to be treated as a standard financial aid resource and should first be used to adjust a student’s loans and work study awards.

Tuition Assistance Programs: Programs such as the Army National Guard Federal Tuition Assistance Program are not included on the list of federal programs (section 480 (c) of the Higher Education Act) to be excluded from Title IV consideration; therefore, they must be considered as estimated financial assistance (EFA) when determining eligibility for all federal assistance. These resources are to be treated as a standard financial aid resource and should first be used to adjust a student’s loans and work study awards.

How Scholarships and Grants Might Affect Your UVA Financial Aid Award

SFS provides aid to meet all your demonstrated financial need, based on what you report on your FAFSA, the CSS Profile, or any other required documents. If you get scholarships or other benefits, either from the school or outside sources, we'll need to review your financial aid and likely make adjustments to the types of aid you have but not the amounts. For example, if you have an AccessUVA Scholarship and then win another scholarship from outside the University, it doesn’t mean you keep all your original aid plus the new scholarship. This is because the outside scholarship essentially reduces your demonstrated need; it's a new financial resource that we have to consider and account for.

Since the University already covers 100% of your demonstrated financial need, any new scholarships just replace some of the aid that is already part of your offer. Our first objective when we have to do this is to reduce or remove federal work study and loans; grants are generally the last item we adjust. Remember, you must report all scholarships and grants to the University. 

Need-based federal, state, and University scholarships and grants: Federal, state and University scholarships and grants are awarded as part of your financial aid offer.

Non-need based University scholarships and grants: These typically replace "self-help" forms of need-based aid (Direct Subsidized Loans, Nursing or Institutional Loans, Federal Work Study) before they will replace state and University scholarships and grants.

Non-need based non-UVA scholarships and grants: As with non-need based University scholarships and grants, these typically replace "self-help" forms of need-based aid (Direct Subsidized Loans, Nursing or Institutional Loans, Federal Work Study) before they will replace state and University scholarships and grants.