B/MT Five-Year Program: School of Education and Human Development

For financial aid purposes, students in the B/MT Five-Year Program are considered undergraduates (BA or BS/Ed) during their first four years and graduate (MT) students during their fifth year of study.  During the fifth year, once a student’s status is changed to graduate in the SIS, they are no longer eligible for institutional aid, such as AccessUVA scholarships.  Graduate students are considered independent for financial purposes and are only eligible for federal loans and work study, if they qualify. 

If you are in the B/MT Five-Year program you will be advanced to graduate status the fall after your fourth year. B/MTs in the class of 2022 will be graduate students in Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022. B/MTs in the class of 2023 will be graduate students in Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Spring 2023.

    How To Apply


    1. Apply for a U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) if you don’t already have one.  Your FSA ID will allow you to electronically “sign” financial aid applications and federal loan promissory notes.  Apply for an FSA ID online at StudentAid.gov.

    2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For the quickest and most accurate processing, complete the FAFSA online, also available in Spanish. The University of Virginia's school code for the FAFSA is 003745.

    3. Monitor your To Do List in your SIS Dashboard and reply promptly to requests for additional information.

    4. Some students will be notified by e-mail or in writing that they have been selected for verification. If you have been selected for verification our office is required to verify the information you reported on your FAFSA. Additional instructions will follow if you have been selected.

    5. Do NOT submit copies of your most recent tax documents unless you are specifically instructed to do so by our office.

    6. All graduate students must apply for financial aid every year.

    What Happens Next?

    Your FAFSA will be sent to us electronically. We will review it, and if necessary, request additional documentation to verify your information. Once we receive and review all of your information, including and departmental awards and your enrollment, we will post your award information in the Financials section of your SIS account, detailing your financial aid package. If you are enrolled in any summer term, your financial aid awards could change.

    PLEASE NOTE: Because many departments do not apply their awards until later in the summer before classes begin, you may not receive your need-based award until some time after August 1st. Please know that your federal aid eligibility consists of loans up to $20,500. If your department will be funding you, our office must wait until after they have completed their awarding in order to avoid your being overawarded. Overawarding can have several undesirable consequences, including blocking refunds to the student and/or requiring students to pay back money that was previously refunded to them. It is in the best interest of all to avoid overawarding.

    Receiving Outside Scholarships

    If you anticipate you will receive outside scholarships, you must notify us when completing the University Financial Aid Application.

    Non-University awards include all scholarships and grants awarded by agencies other than our office, such as:

    • University Alumni Association
    • Resident Advisor housing and/or dining awards
    • ROTC scholarships
    • National Merit or National Achievement Scholarships
    • Tuition Benefits/Reimbursements
    • Any scholarships or grants awarded by churches, high schools, fraternities & sororities, corporations, professional or civic organizations.