Master of Public Safety Financial Aid

The Master of Public Safety degree program is eligible for federal financial aid. To be eligible to receive Federal aid, you must be enrolled at least part time each term. For graduate students, this means at least 3.0 credits for the summer term and at least 6.0 credits each term for the fall and spring.

  • In general, graduate students may receive up to $20,500 in Federal Direct (Unsubsidized) Student Loans for each loan year. The graduate loan year begins with summer term. 
  • Students may receive a Graduate PLUS loan or a private education loan for up to the difference between the student's budget and any other resources including Federal Direct student loans.
  • Please note that the total of all financial assistance cannot exceed the estimated cost of attendance each year.
How To Apply for 2024-2025
  1. Apply for a U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) if you don't already have one. Your FSA ID will allow you to electronically "sign" financial aid applications and federal loan promissory notes. Apply for an FSA ID online at
  2. Complete the 2024-2025 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applications are accepted at any time. For the quickest and most accurate processing, students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA online, available in both English and Spanish. The University of Virginia's school code for the FAFSA is 003745.
What Happens Next?

Your FAFSA will be sent to us electronically. We will review it, and if necessary, request additional documentation to verify your information. Monitor your To Do List in your SIS account and reply promptly to requests from Student Financial Services for additional information. Please do not submit copies of your most recent tax documents unless you are specifically instructed to do so by our office. Once we receive and review all of your information, we will post your financial aid offer in SIS, detailing your financial aid package. 

Receiving Outside Scholarships

If you will receive an outside scholarship(s), you must submit an Outside Scholarships Self Reporting Form, available in our Forms Directory under the appropriate academic year tab. 

Non-University awards include all scholarships and grants awarded by agencies other than Student Financial Services. These agencies include:

  • University Alumni Association
  • Resident Advisor housing and/or dining awards 
  • ROTC scholarships
  • National Merit or National Achievement scholarships
  • Tuition Benefits/Reimbursements
  • Any scholarships or grants awarded by churches, high schools, fraternities and sororities, corporations, professional or civic organizations