Post-Baccalaureate/Pre-Medical Program Financial Aid

Students seeking financial aid for this program are not considered undergraduate or graduate students but special students taking preparatory coursework. In most cases, these students are not eligible for grant assistance from Student Financial Services. For each term (summer, fall, and spring) there is limited eligibility for federal student loans, but students may apply for a private loan.

  • Special students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to be considered for any federal assistance during the fall and spring semesters. 
  • In general, dependent students may receive up to $5,500 in Federal Direct Student Loans (combined subsidized and unsubsidized amounts) during the award period. If the student is determined to be independent, an additional $7,000 in Unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loans may be available.
  • Please note that the total of all financial assistance cannot exceed the estimated cost of attendance.

How To Apply for 2024-2025

  1. Apply for a U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) if you don’t already have one. Your FSA ID will allow you to electronically “sign” financial aid applications and federal loan promissory notes. Apply for an FSA ID online at
  2. If you are seeking financial aid for the summer 2024 term, and if you have completed the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), log back in and add the University of Virginia as a recipient school. This will allow us to consider you for aid for summer 2024. If you do not want aid for summer 2024, you can skip this step.
  3. All applicants who want aid for the 2024-2025 academic year should complete the 2024-2025 FAFSA to allow us to consider you for aid for fall 2024 and spring 2025
  4. Financial aid applications are accepted at any time. For the quickest and most accurate processing, students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA online, available in both English and Spanish. The University of Virginia's school code for the FAFSA is 003745. *If you have already completed a 2024-25 FAFSA, please make sure to indicate UVA's school code of 003745.

    As you complete the FAFSA, please note that for question #4 in the Student section, you should answer "Other undergraduate".
  5. Submit a Preparatory Coursework Certification Form. The Department of Education requires that Student Financial Services verify that students participating in preparatory coursework have not previously participated in preparatory coursework using federal financial aid and that the student’s coursework is necessary for admission to a post-baccalaureate program of study. This required form should be added automatically to your To Do List in your SIS student portal after your FAFSA is received. You can also find the form on the page linked here, if needed.

What Happens Next?

Your FAFSA will be sent to us electronically. We will review it, and if necessary, request additional documentation to verify your information. Once we receive and review all of your information, we will post your award information on the SIS, detailing your financial aid package. You will most likely need to supplement your Federal Direct Loans with a private loan.

Receiving Outside Scholarships

If you will receive outside scholarships, you must submit a completed Non-University Award Notification form.

Non-University awards include all scholarships and grants awarded by agencies other than our office. They include University Alumni Association, Resident Advisor housing and/or dining awards, ROTC scholarships, National Merit or National Achievement Scholarships, Tuition Benefits/Reimbursements, and any scholarships or grants awarded by churches, high schools, fraternities & sororities, corporations, professional or civic organizations.