Emergency Funds

Emergency Loan

The Emergency Loan is a short-term, interest-free loan available to undergraduate students for up to $500 and graduate students for up to $750 per semester. The loan is due on the last day of the month after it is taken out (e.g. a loan taken out any day in February will be due March 31). As long as it is paid on time, there is no fee or interest. If it is paid late, there is a one-time late fee of $10.

To apply for an Emergency Loan during the spring 2021 term, please email [email protected] rather than visiting Carruthers Hall in person. Emergency Loans can only be obtained during the semester (i.e., the first day of classes through the last day of classes), and are only available to Summer Session students if they are enrolled in the following Fall term. The last day for Spring graduates to obtain an Emergency Loan is March 31. The last day for Fall graduates to obtain an Emergency Loan is October 31. Past due balances must be paid prior to obtaining an Emergency Loan.

For the spring 2021 term, you may be eligible for funding from the CARES Act.  Please visit the page at https://sfs.virginia.edu/sfs-operational-updates to find links to an application form for emergency funding for technology and other costs you have had to incur as a result of disruption due to the pandemic. Students must have a completed FAFSA for the 2020-2021 academic year on file to qualify for consideration.


Honor Loan Fund

The Honor Loan is a short-term, interest-free loan available to full-time graduate and undergraduate students. This loan is administered by the Office of the Dean of Students. For more information, please visit ODOS in Peabody Hall or call (434) 924-7133 to make an appointment. You can also access information on the ODOS website.