University of Virginia Logo

You are here

Institutional Tuition and Fees Adjustment Schedule by Weekly Proration

The weekly proration adjustment schedule governs how tuition and fees will be adjusted on a percentage basis determined by the school week during which the student withdraws from the University. This schedule currently applies to all students at the University except those students in the School of Law and the School of Medicine, who follow the Daily Proration Schedule.


  • An enrolled student who withdraws or voluntarily takes a leave from the University on or after the first (1st) day of classes and through the first week of the term will receive 100 percent tuition and fee adjustment.
  • A standard semester (term) school week is defined as seven (7) calendar days.
  • The first school week begins the first day of the start of the semester (term) period.
  • The effective date of withdrawal is determined by the school in which the student is enrolled, and the official withdrawal is recorded within the Student Information System.
  • Any resulting credit due to a student because of a withdrawal will first be offset against any other amounts owed to the University.


The weekly proration schedule of tuition and required fees between amounts charged and amounts adjusted is as follows:


School Week

% Charged to Student

% Adjusted



















After 6




Terms and Definitions:

  • Academic Degree: Determined by school of enrollment.  Please visit the University Registrar’s Record for a complete list of school programs.
  • Effective Date of Withdrawal: the date determined to be the official withdrawal date from the university. The University Registrar supports more information related to an official withdrawal date and “Leaving and Returning to the University.”
  • School Week: Defined as seven (7) calendar days that begins on the first day of the program’s classes.
  • Standard Semester (Term): Fall and Spring are standard semesters. This includes programs that follow a standard module plan. Students wishing to withdraw from classes during Summer Session or January Term should contact the Office of Summer & Special Academic Programs.
  • Withdrawal from the University: Students should consult “Leaving and Returning to the University” in the University Record for details specific to their school’s withdrawal policies.


Related Information

  • Student Financial Services: Withdrawal from School and Return to Title IV
    • The treatment of Federal Aid (Title IV) eligibility and Return to Title IV (R2T4) funds follow the federal guidelines determined by the U.S. Department of Education. The treatment of Non-Federal Aid eligibility and return policies adhere to the respective funding source’s adjustment guidelines.
  • University Registrar: Leaving the University