- FWS Job Descriptions (coming soon)
- FWS Voucher - Use only for compensation changes. Do not use for new hires, rehires, or when adding or changing student jobs. Please see the FWS Employer Handbook Appendix D: FWSV
- FWS Training and Updates
- Recorded Federal Work Study Training and Updates (Passcode: X4!2*J&r)
- Quick Reference Guide: Assign Costing Allocation: Federal Work Study (QRG)
We hope you are safe and well. UVA's Federal Work Study (FWS) program is undergoing some refinement this year, with the aim of more fully integrating and streamlining the process for departments, especially regarding the submission of vouchers and job descriptions to Student Financial Services. We anticipate that the updated Handbook - including detailed instructions and job aids covering the new approach - will be ready in early August. We appreciate your patience until then! In the meantime, feel free to check out the FAQs below, and let us know about any other time-sensitive questions you may have by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org (for supervisors) or email@example.com (for students):
No, the current hiring freeze does not apply to FWS positions.
This year FWS jobs may start no earlier than August 23, 2022 and may end no later than May 12, 2023.
Students' aid offers will continue to be issued throughout the summer. As FWS offers are issued, they become visible in UBI. When viewing the Work-Study Analysis report in UBI, under "Select Aid Year" in the left-hand sidebar, be sure to select 2023. If there is an "Offer Amount" greater than zero for a particular student, s/he has been offered an FWS award and may be hired into an FWS position. If there is an "Accepted Amount" greater than zero, s/he has accepted that offer and may be paid FWS funds. If you want to hire a student who has not yet accepted their FWS offer, please ask them to accept the offer in SIS, so the funds will flow appropriately.
Please wait to advertise your positions until the Wage Authorization for the Academic Areas has been updated for 2022-2023. This will ensure that you are advertising positions at the appropriate wage rates. You will know that our office has translated the overall authorization into FWS-related wage bands when we notify you in early August that the FWS Employer Handbook is available.
Please wait to set up students in Workday until the new FWS Employer Handbook is available, sometime in early August.
Students who work and submit hours will be paid, regardless of whether they are set up in an FWS or a student wage position. However, for several reasons it works best to use FWS positions for all students who have FWS awards:
- a department contributes only 25% to the cost of employing a student in an FWS position (vs. 100% in a student wage position)
- if UVA does not use all of its FWS funds, we risk potentially losing funds in future years