Using Military Education Benefits

If you are a student eligible for military education benefits, you can submit an education benefits application through the Veteran Affairs (VA) website. The VA will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once you have the COE, you can follow the below steps to utilize your benefits at UVA.

Students who plan to use their military education benefits should contact the Office of the University Registrar (UREG) for forms and related resources. You can direct questions about benefit eligibility and coverage to the VA Educational Benefits line at 1-888-442-4551.

Please note: Your military educational benefits will impact certain financial aid eligibility. They will be included as a financial resource in your financial aid offer and may reduce state grants, University grants, federal and institutional loans, and private loans. Each financial aid offer type is different, so the military education benefit may affect each person’s offer differently. Please contact us for questions about how your military education benefits may impact your financial aid at [email protected] or 434.982.6000.

Below are 4 steps to use your VA benefits at UVA:

  1. Submit the COE to the Office of the University Registrar (UREG) (for first time users).
  2. Submit the military education Educational Benefits Request form to UREG (a new form is required for each academic term).  Access the online version of this form.
  3. Once UREG receives required documentation, SFS applies a marker on the student account (it will appear in your SIS account as a hold labeled "VA benefits pending"). The marker prevents a Student Finance hold from being applied to the account and remains effective until mid-semester to allow students time to pay their charges not covered by their benefits and to allow time for UVA to receive funds from the VA.
  4. Students should be mindful to pay charges not covered by the VA. This includes dining, housing, bookstore, non-approved fees and tuition charges beyond the student's eligibility percentage as determined by the VA. By mid-semester, any of these other charges that remain past due may result in a Student Finance hold until the charges are paid. Students must resolve their account balances in order to remain eligible to register for future term course enrollment. SFS sends monthly notifications to students and their authorized users in UVAPay in the event of a Student Finance hold.

It is extremely important to understand that the Military Educational Benefits Request Form must be submitted for each term for which you intend to use your benefits. 

Helpful Resources:  For additional resources and information (including Estimated Monthly Housing Allowance, Choice Act eligibility, and Department of military education Affairs FAQs), please visit UREG’s VA resource page.

For service member student loan borrowers, we want to make you aware of your rights and options.  The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has partnered with the Department of Defense and has created a guide for servicemembers who have student loans. The guide contains clear information on the various ways student loans can be repaid. Servicemembers who have an issue with their servicers should submit a complaint to the CFPB by following the steps below.  The University provides this information strictly as a service to its servicemember student loan borrowers.

  • Go online at
  • Call the toll-free phone number at 1-855-411-CFPB (2372) or TTY/TDD phone number at 1-855-729-CFPB (2372)
  • Fax the CFPB at 1-855-237-2392
  • Mail a letter to: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, P.O. Box 4503, Iowa City, Iowa 52244
  • Additionally, through “Ask CFPB,” consumers can get clear, unbiased answers to their questions at or by calling 1-855-411-CFPB (2372).