Eligibility Requirements

International Students

Student Financial Services does not award financial aid to international or foreign students. Students may apply for alternative loan programs that are available from private financial institutions.

Continuing Education Students

Students attending the School of Continuing and Professional Studies must meet all the general requirements described above and must also be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program of study. Students in a non-degree or certificate program are not eligible to receive federal financial aid.

Undergraduate and Graduate Students

Students must meet all eligibility requirements described here to be considered for any Title IV federal financial aid programs and need-based aid assistance from the University.

Have a High School Diploma or Equivalent

To be eligible for aid, students must have a high school diploma or its equivalent, or have a certificate indicating they have completed a home-study program recognized by their home state.

Be Enrolled in an Approved Degree

Students must be enrolled in an approved degree-seeking program to be eligible for any financial aid from the University. A list of programs and degrees is published in the Undergraduate Record and the Graduate Record. Students studying in an approved study abroad program or through one of the University's exchange programs are eligible for financial aid from the University. A list of approved study abroad and exchange programs is available from the Office of International StudiesThe University does not offer financial aid for students in certificate programs.

Credit Hours

In order to receive a full financial aid award package, undergraduate students must be enrolled full-time (meaning at least at least twelve credit hours each semester). Undergraduates who receive prior approval from their dean to take less than a full-time course load may have their financial aid award reduced as required by federal regulations and institutional policies, but generally must remain in at least six credit hours to be considered for financial aid.

Students enrolled less than half time who meet all eligibility requirements for the Pell grant may be offered the prorated amount of this award.

Graduate students must register at least half time and for a minimum of six credit or non-topical/research/thesis hours each semester during the academic year to be eligible for federal financial aid.

Except in cases where the University has a valid consortium agreement on file for a study abroad program, the University will not award students financial aid to study at another school. Students should always consult SFS before studying at another institution with the the expectation that UVA will award them financial aid for that study.

Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen

Students must be United States citizens or classified as eligible non-citizens in order to be eligible for federal, state, and University financial assistance. Students must fit one of the following categories in order to be considered eligible non-citizens:

Citizen not born in United States

  • Certificate of Citizenship (Must have student's name, certificate number and the date the certificate was issued.)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Must have student's name, certificate number, Alien Registration Number, name of the court and the date where naturalization occurred.)
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (Must have embossed seal "United States of America" and "State Department".)
  • U.S. Passport

Non-citizen National

  • U.S. Passport (Must be stamped "Non-citizen National")

Permanent Resident

  • "Permanent Resident Card" (Form I-551), or the "Alien Registration Receipt Card" (Form I-151)
  • Foreign Passport (Must be stamped "Processed for I-551" with expiration date.)
  • I-94 (Must be stamped "Processed for I-551 with expiration date, or "Temporary Form I-551," with appropriate information filled in.)

Have a Valid Social Security Number

Students must have a valid Social Security number to receive financial aid. Exceptions to this rule are students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.

Not in Default on a Loan or Owe a Refund on a Grant

To be eligible for financial assistance, students must not be in default on a Federal Nursing Loan, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Supplemental Loan for Students, Institutional Loan, or Federal Direct Loan, nor owe any refund on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, according to the standards and practices of the University. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory progress may not receive federal Title IV assistance or state and University need-based grants and scholarships.

In-State Undergraduate Students with DACA Status and Undocumented Students

UVA offers need-based institutional aid to degree-seeking in-state undergraduate students with DACA status who have demonstrated financial need.

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) provides the Virginia Alternate State Aid Application (VASA), which allows students who cannot complete the FAFSA to complete an application for state funding. More information and registration is on the page at https://www.schev.edu/financial-aid/financial-aid/federal-state-financial-aid/vasa. Please see this pdf for screen shots of the registration process.

The Multicultural Student Services website has more information and resources for DACA and students who cannot complete the FAFSA. It is important that applicants understand that eligibility for institutional aid is only available to degree-seeking in-state undergraduate DACA students. Undocumented students, while potentially eligible for state funds through the VASA application, are not eligible for institutional aid at this time. Also, students must demonstrate financial need to be eligible for institutional aid. Federal forms of financial aid remain unavailable to any student with DACA status. However, if you have a social security number, you can complete the FAFSA to receive a FAFSA Submission Summary which will contain information about non-federal options for financial aid.

For more information about possible funding for DACA and other students who cannot complete the FAFSA, please see this additional resource.

On June 16, 2020, the University announced that all students, regardless of citizenship or immigration status, are now eligible for admission and enrollment at UVA. However, federal law currently prohibits undocumented students from receiving federal financial aid to attend UVA. See this article for more information about the announcement.