Withdrawal from School

Tuition and Fee Adjustment Policy

If a student withdraws from the University, tuition and required fees are assessed according to the Institutional Tuition and Fees Adjustment Schedule for their degree program. Please select your academic degree program below to access your tuition and fee adjustment schedule.

Students who cancel admission, withdraw, or take a leave from the University, voluntarily or involuntarily, before the first day of classes will receive a 100 percent tuition and fee adjustment.

Please contact your school of enrollment or access the Leaving the University functionality in SIS to initiate the process of leaving.

Note: The adjustment schedules refer only to tuition and required fees. Housing and Dining adjustments are calculated separately and follow different adjustment policies.  Housing's current policy is available here. Those seeking a refund of dining payments should start by completing the Dining Plan Change Request Form at the University Dining's website.

Tuition and Fee Adjustment Schedules by Academic Degree

Non-Standard Program Tuition and Fee Adjustment Schedules

Residence Halls

No adjustment of residence hall rent shall be made in the event of withdrawal after the fifth class day of each semester. Upon vacating student housing facilities, the room key must be returned to the Student Accommodation Office. The date the room key is returned to the Student Accommodation Office is the effective termination date of the student housing contract. For further information regarding housing, call (434) 924-3736 or visit the UVA Housing & Residence Life website.

Dining Services

Dining contracts cover meal plans for both fall and spring semesters. Students wishing to cancel their contract must notify the contract coordinator at (434) 982-5140 by the specified deadline. There is a $50 administrative fee to cover processing charges. For further information regarding contract meal plans and charges call (434) 982-5142 or visit the UVA Dining website.

Federal Financial Aid Recipients (Title IV funds)

Student Financial Services is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a semester. Title IV funds are Pell Grant, SEOG, TEACH Grant, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, Nursing Loan, Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, and PLUS loans.

Learn detailed information regarding the Return to Title IV process

Upon Your Return to the University

Please note that if you leave the University for any reason and return in a later semester, you will be subject to the tuition and fee rates established by the Board of Visitors for the academic year in which you return, based upon your academic level upon your return. Your school of enrollment can confirm your academic level at the time of your return.