Education Tax Benefits

We would like to remind you of the Federal educational tax benefits for which you may be eligible. Taking full advantage of these tax benefits would help reduce your higher education expenses.

The following information is intended for educational purposes and should not be considered legal or tax advice. Please consult your professional tax advisor or attorney for more information and to determine your eligibility. The University cannot provide legal or tax advice to individuals.

A student who is eligible to receive a 1098-T form can access it online through SIS and UVAPay as soon as it is available each year for which they are eligible. 1098-T forms are required to be made available each year by January 31st. The 1098T WILL NOT include fellowship stipend amounts. Authorized users in UVAPay should use this link to log in. Not an authorized user? Here's how to establish authorized access in UVAPay.

To help students and their parents, the Internal Revenue Service offers the following ways to offset education costs:

-American Opportunity Credit
-Lifetime Learning Credit
-Student Loan Interest Deduction

For more information on the education benefits listed above, see Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education or call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Form 1098-T is mailed by Jan. 31 each year to all students who had qualified tuition and other related educational expenses paid during the previous calendar year. Please review your account activity in UVAPay to obtain a record of your payment information; you will need this payment information to calculate your tax credits. Parents, if your student has not set you up as an authorized user in UVAPay, we recommend you request your student to do so at this time. If the student did not choose to receive a physical copy of the form, it can only be accessed through the UVAPay portal.

If you have any questions about your eligibility for these tax benefits, please contact the IRS or your professional tax advisor or attorney.