Student Account Holds

Below are descriptions of holds and instructions for resolving holds that commonly appear on student accounts. Most of the time, holds are the direct or indirect result of charges placed by departments other than SFS. For questions about any charges on your account, first contact the department placing the charge directly (such as Parking and Transportation, or the UVA Bookstore), as details about the charges are usually not provided to SFS.

Student Finance Hold

The Student Finance Hold (SFH) applies to students who have a past-due balance and do not have sufficient scheduled resources (such as anticipated financial aid, scholarship funding, a payment plan, third party sponsorship, and/or VA benefits) to cover the balance due. 

This hold prevents students from enrolling in courses for future terms and changing courses for the current term during the drop/add period. Students can review their account through SIS and can contact SFS for further information about their past due balances. Student Finance Holds may also prevent refunds to the student, including at the beginning of a term. Students with significant balances from a prior term risk being dropped from their classes at the start of the next term, and SFS communicates clearly and often with students in such a situation.

Students are advised to make payment immediately through UVAPay or to contact SFS to review payment arrangement options in order to release this hold. 

Note: Holds are released immediately if payment is received through UVAPay. Holds should be released within 24 hours if alternative payment is submitted or alternative payment arrangements are secured.