Eligibility Requirements

International Students

Student Financial Services does not award financial aid to international or foreign students. Students may apply for alternative loan programs that are available from private financial institutions.

Continuing Education Students

Students attending the School of Continuing and Professional Studies must meet all the general requirements described in the Undergraduate and Graduate Student section below and must also be enrolled at least half-time in the degree-granting program of study. In most cases, students in a non-degree or certificate program are not eligible to receive federal financial aid.

Undergraduate and Graduate Students

Students must meet all eligibility requirements described here to be considered for any Title IV federal financial aid programs and need-based aid assistance from the University.

Have a High School Diploma or Equivalent

To be eligible for aid, students must have a high school diploma or its equivalent, or have a certificate indicating they have completed a home-study program recognized by their home state.

Be Enrolled in an Approved Degree

Students must be enrolled in an approved degree-seeking program to be eligible for any financial aid from the University. A list of programs and degrees is published in the Undergraduate Record and the Graduate Record. Students studying in an approved study abroad program or through one of the University's exchange programs are eligible for financial aid from the University. A list of approved study abroad and exchange programs is available from the Office of International StudiesThe University does not offer financial aid for students in certificate programs.

Credit Hours

In order to receive a full financial aid award package, undergraduate students must be full-time (meaning at least at least twelve credit hours each semester). Undergraduates who receive prior approval from their dean to take less than a full-time course load may have their financial aid award reduced as required by federal regulations and institutional policies, but generally must remain in at least six credit hours to be considered for financial aid.

Graduate students must register at least half time and for a minimum of six credit or non-topical/research/thesis hours each semester during the academic year to be eligible for federal financial aid.

Except in cases where the University has a valid consortium agreement on file for a study abroad program, the University will not award students financial aid to study at another school.  Students should always consult SFS before studying at another institution with the the expectation that UVA will award them financial aid for that study.

Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen

Students must be United States citizens or classified as eligible non-citizens in order to be eligible for federal, state, and University financial assistance. Students must fit one of the following categories in order to be considered eligible non-citizens:

Citizen not born in United States

  • Certificate of Citizenship (Must have student's name, certificate number and the date the certificate was issued.)
  • Certificate of Naturalization ( Must have student's name, certificate number, Alien Registration Number, name of the court and the date where naturalization occurred.)
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (Must have embossed seal "United States of America" and "State Department".)
  • U.S. Passport

Non-citizen National

  • U.S. Passport (Must be stamped "Non-citizen National")

Permanent Resident

  • "Permanent Resident Card"(Form I-551), or the "Alien Registration Receipt Card"(Form I-151)
  • Foreign Passport (Must be stamped "processed for I-551" with expiration date.)
  • I-94 (Must be stamped "Processed for I-551 with expiration date, or Temporary Form I-551," with appropriate information filled in.)

Have a Valid Social Security Number

Students must have a valid Social Security number to receive financial aid. Exceptions to this rule are students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.

Not in Default on a Loan or Owe a Refund on a Grant

To be eligible for financial assistance, students must not be in default on a Federal Nursing Loan, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Supplemental Loan for Students, Institutional Loan, or Federal Direct Loan, nor owe any refund on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, according to the standards and practices of the University. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory progress may not receive federal Title IV assistance or state and University need-based grants and scholarships.

In-State Undergraduate Students with DACA Status and Undocumented Students

UVA offers need-based institutional aid to degree-seeking in-state undergraduate students with DACA status who have demonstrated financial need. To apply for institutional aid, please review the application document and complete all the necessary steps.  The Multicultural Student Services website has more information and resources for DACA students.  It is important that applicants understand that eligibility for institutional aid is only available to degree-seeking in-state undergraduate students.  Also, students must demonstrate financial need to be eligible for institutional aid.  Federal forms of financial aid remain unavailable to any student with DACA status.

For more information about possible funding for DACA and undocumented students, please see this additional resource.

On June 16, 2020, the University announced that all students, regardless of citizenship or immigration status, are now eligible for admission and enrollment at UVA. Federal law currently prohibits undocumented students from receiving financial aid to attend UVA, but the University will be working with a number of organizations in the coming months in the hopes of resolving some of these issues. See this article for more information about the announcement.